Friday, July 22, 2016

The Aeronaut's Windlass (The Cinder Spires #1) by Jim Butcher (Excerpt)


I read only the free excerpt, which was provided with the Hugo voters' package. If I would have liked the sample, I would have bought the book. I didn’t. It wasn’t good enough and I didn’t want to spend any money for a nominee that is on the list, only due to manipulated voting. I could describe my feelings about this book as massive disinterest. The book is the first volume of a new series. It apparently is some kind of cross of fantasy, steampunk and militaristic fiction. Airships are run by magic crystals, feudal houses are important and spend their time having duels over small slights; intelligent talking cats are kept in contempt, except by one minor house. All in all, pretty formulaic pulpish story which felt like it could have been written in the thirties. The writing itself was competent, but never, ever this would be worth an award.

116 pp.

No comments: